Tuesday, March 6, 2007

The Demise of our Bills


Remember "I'm Just a Bill" from Schoolhouse Rock:

Well, it's a long, long journey

To the capital city.

It's a long, long waitWhile I'm sitting in committee,

But I know I'll be a law some dayAt least I hope and pray that I will

But today I am still just a bill.


Well, we waited and waited, but never got out of committee--we actually made it out of the first committees on our study bill, but then couldn't get out of Ways and Means and Appropriations. Our modest proposal to ban the execution of individuals who are severely mentally ill never made it out of the judiciary committees, despite the overwhelming show of support.


On the other hand, thre were more important things for the Legislature to consider than preventing the execution of individuals who suffer from the most serious of mental illnesses or taking the time and spending the money to discover whether our death penalty laws are in greater need of repair than the Seattle Viaduct. Like, creating a state climatologist or setting up a gift shop in the legislative building---and, no, I am not making this up. And, let's not forget the important debate on the future of the viaduct.


Tell you what, while we are tearing down that structure why don't we dismantle the machinery of death. I think the view will be better--for all our citizens.


We will be back, no reference to The Terminator intended. Our passion for justice runs very, very deep.